Uisge Beatha – the Water of Life
It’s one of the pillars of a Highland holiday experience – sampling the delights of the dram against the backdrop of the beautiful surroundings that have been home to stills throughout the centuries.
And, with a number of distilleries in our area, or within easy day-tripping reach, Inverness Loch Ness makes the perfect destination for whisky lovers to come and indulge their passion and learn a little more about Scotland’s famous “Water of Life”
Distilleries Near Inverness Loch Ness
If you are visiting the area and want to discover more about the distilling process there are a number of options available. The Inverness Loch Ness area is home to both the Tomatin and Glen Ord distilleries, each of which offer a selection of options for tastings and tours – as well as the opportunity to select a bottle or two to savour as a souvenir!
Whisky Festivals in the Highlands
For the true enthusiast, it can be a great idea to time your Loch Ness whisky break to coincide with one of the whisky festivals that takes place across the Highlands throughout the year. Choose from:
- Inverness’s own Nip Festival, held at Bogbain Farm in late spring.
- The Spirit of Speyside Whisky Festival, held at iconic whisky venues across our neighbouring Speyside at the end of April/beginning of May
- Dornoch Whisky Festival, held in this stunning coastal burgh in the autumn months.
Inverness Whisky Tastings
Of course, there’s no need for a festival to enjoy whisky tastings near Loch Ness and around Inverness as many of our local hostelries pride themselves on their whisky collections and staff are usually happy to help visitors build a whisky tasting tree and offer advice on which drams will best suit your preferred style! Some to try include:
- The Award Winning Whisky Bar at Fiddlers, Drumnadrochit.
- Kingsmills Hotel Whisky Bar, Inverness
- Nicky Tams at the Glen Mhor Hotel, on the banks of the River Ness.
- Table Manors Restaurant and Bar, Achnagairn Estate
Whisky should be enjoyed responsibly – if you are planning a tasting tour during your time in Inverness Loch Ness, please ensure you have transport arranged or a designated driver. You might find it helpful to have a list of numbers for Highland taxi and private hire services which can be found at the bottom of the linked page.